This guide is an optional tool to begin your interview process. It should not replace a formal interview. You should modify the questions to meet your particular recruitment needs.
Summary: Sample preliminary questions to ask job applicants in a telephone interview.
Use this format to obtain additional information quickly from the candidates before you schedule them for an interview.
Request for phone interview
- Hello, I received your resume for the position of ___________________ in the ____________ Department at UCI.
- I’d like to spend about 20 minutes talking with you over the phone regarding your skills and qualifications for this position.
- Is this a good time or can we schedule a time?
- I’d like to ask you a few questions about your level of interest, skills and salary expectations.
- This position is a _________________ (insert type of appointment, career, limited, temporary, contract).
- Tell me why you are interested in this position?
- The hours for the position are ____________, is that acceptable to you?
- There may be times due to workload when additional hours are necessary. Are you able to work additional hours if needed?
Determine candidate's interest level
- Tell me about your skills and experience that qualify you for this position.
- What is your current salary and what are your salary expectations?
- What attracted you to this position?
- How soon are you looking to make a career change?
Conclusion to phone interview
- At this point, you should determine whether the candidate is interested, qualified, available and willing to interview further for the position.
- If their salary requirements are not within your range and budget, you can let them know what the salary range is and determine their level of interest at that point or end the discussion.
- If the salary range is not acceptable, thank them for their time and encourage them to review other vacancies on the Employment website.
- If the interest is mutual to you and the candidate, briefly tell them about the position and what the next steps will be.
- Thank you for taking the time to discuss your skills and background with me. Our next step will be to conclude the telephone interviews and schedule applicants for personal interviews. Are you able to interview with us next week (schedule an interview date)?
- Thank you for taking the time to discuss your skills and background with me. My next step will be to complete the phone interviews and determine whom I will call back for personal interviews. I will get back to everyone by ___________________. Thank you again for your time.
Return to How to Interview Job Applicants or Hiring main menu.
Need an expert? Contact Employment Services.
Notice: University policies, procedures and applicable collective bargaining agreements shall supersede information in this document or elsewhere on this site.