|What you, the employee, should do||How you should do it|
|1||Review departmental requirements |
- Department agrees to pay for required expenses including course, exam, application fee, bond, errors and omissions insurance, membership, supplies, etc.
- Ensure that proposed applicant has necessary qualifications to be a California Notary.
|2||Submit signed request.|
- Submit the approved Notary Request form to Purchasing.
- Notaries who have not submitted a form cannot perform on campus or be listed in the UCI Notary Directory.
Employees who come to the University with a commission and want to be a University notary should submit a Notary Request form.
|3||Follow application procedures |
- The National Notary Association provides a single fee program to cover coursework, testing, bonding and related expenses.
- A background check by the FBI as well as the California Department of Justice is required. Before submitting fingerprints via live scan, applicants must first pass the notary public exam.
|4||Request a certification letter|
- Contact Purchasing after receiving the commission packet to request a Letter of Employment Certification.
- The required documents must be filed with the Orange County Office of the County Clerk within 30 days of the Commission date.
|5||Perform notary duties in accordance with policies|
California Government Code 8200-8230
- Secretary of State Notary Public Handbook
|6||Deposit all fees with the University Cashier|
- There is no charge for services for University or State business.
No fee may be charged to a U.S. military veteran for
notarization of an application for veterans’ benefits.
- Services performed for non-related business will be charged a fee not to exceed the maximum allowed by law.
Any fees collected (on or off campus) must be deposited with the University Cashier in the department account specified in the Request form.
- The term of office of a notary public is four years from the date
specified on the Commission.
- To be reappointed the applicant is required to provide evidence that they have taken and passed the notary examination.
- Submit required information to Purchasing.
|8||Looking for a notary?|
- See the listing of University notaries.