|What you, the supervisor, should do||How you should do it|
|1||Consult with your Employee Relations (ER) Consultant|
- Contact your ER Consultant to confirm compliance with the appropriate layoff provisions.
|2||Consider alternatives to layoff with ER Consultant|
- Prior to layoff, consider termination of limited appointments, employment agreements, probationary employees or reassignment of regular status employees in career positions.
Note: only CUE employees may volunteer for layoff or reduction in time. Refer to Article 13.C.2.b
|3||Review the applicable layoff provisions
- Review applicable provision in the union contract or the PPSM (Personnel Policies for Staff Members) regarding the type of layoff, notification, severance and other requirements.
|4||Request seniority list|
- Contact Melinda Rodarte, (949) 824-3328, for the official seniority list by classification within the applicable layoff unit.
- If retaining employee(s) regardless of seniority, submit written justification to ER Consultant who may consult with the Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity (OEOD).
|5||Prepare layoff notice (and severance option election form, if applicable) specific to bargaining unit/policy|
- Prepare written notice according to bargaining unit:
- If employee has the option of electing severance, prepare severance option election form and attach to layoff notice:
- Distribute copies of layoff notice to the following:
- Employee Relations Consultant
- Union, if applicable
|6||Issue layoff notice (and severance option election form, if applicable) to employee|
- After issuance of notice, advise employee to contact a Benefits or an Employment representative in Human Resources for assistance.